BIM & laser scanning benefits for retrofitting and conservation work
Evidence have shown that for the UK Government to meet the target of 80% reduction in green house gas emission by 2050, approximately 28 million existing buildings have to be retrofitted. This poses a challenge on the construction industry as we do not only need to think about change of use in renovation and conservation works, but ultimately we have to think about saving energy and resources. We also have to streamline our workflow for both new and existing buildings.
BIM and laser scanning are currently the cutting- edge technology used in the construction industry to address sustainability issues. If you are not familiar with BIM and laser scanning and your projects involve renovation and conservation, don’t miss out. Here are some key potential benefits of BIM and laser scanning
BIM potentials benefits for retrofitting and conservation
- Energy performance and the life cycle of materials can be linked to the model allowing owners and stakeholders to make informed decision early
- Create virtual prototype of the building. The 3D visual representation allows a better understanding of the building components and materials
- BIM can be used as a management tool to evaluate impact of retrofits activities on assets such as MEP
- BIM can be used to address issues influencing the decision making of retrofitting such as political, economic and social issues
- BIM model can be used to coordinate retrofit activities across project team
- BIM can be used to perform cost estimation allowing stakeholders to make informed decision at the early stage
Laser scanning potentials benefits for retrofitting and conservation
- Laser scanning can be used for mapping and modelling of infrastructure and existing building
- Assets and facility management
- Structural analysis and inspection
- Maintenance and documentation
- Integration with BIM to form a foundation for BIM process
At Technical BIM Studio, we are passionate about sustainability and we want to be part of the many professionals that are dealing with the issue through our BIM and measured building surveys services. We have been helping clients on their intents to save cost and energy.
This Post Has One Comment
Yes, laser scanning bim for retrofitting and consevation work.